What is Environmental Learning?
Environmental learning is education…
about the environment,
in the environment, and
for the environment.
With the goal of integrating environmental thinking and ideas into learner’s everyday lives, environmental learning promotes:
- integrating science and social sciences with a multi-disciplinary approach
- learning about the Earth’s ecosystems
- identifying our individual and cultural values
- making informed and responsible choices
- critiquing societal and industrial practices that contribute to environmental problems
Environmental learning can take place just about anywhere – from the formal kindergarten to grade 12 school systems to the informal learning environments, such as nature centers, parks, environmental programs, zoos or aquariums, and much more.